In what has already become a highly controversial interview all eyes are on conversations about “how dark” their baby’s skin tone would be and a rift between Prince Harry and Prince Charles so deep that Harry said his father at one point “stopped taking my calls.” plus Meghan, Duchess of Sussex saying she “just didn’t want to be alive anymore.”
These were a few of the shocking details described by Harry and Meghan in an exclusive interview with Oprah Winfrey, the first since they stepped away from official royal duties last year. They said they would have stayed had they gotten support from the royal family.
In one of the only lighthearted moments, the couple revealed their second child, expected this summer, will be a girl.
But Harry and Meghan spent most of the discussion trying to give their side of many of the tabloid stories that have circulated about them since they got together, including one about how Meghan had once made her sister-in-law, Catherine, cry.
While they had harsh words for their treatment in the press, the most disturbing parts of the interview centered on how they were treated by members of the royal family, which has already got thousands voicing very different opinions on social media. Harry said he had a “really good relationship” with the Queen, but said he was “disappointed” by his father and that, while he loves his brother William “to bits,” they’re on “different paths.”
Meghan said that “in the months when I was pregnant… we have in tandem the conversation of he won’t be given security, he’s not going to be given a title, and also concerns and conversations about how dark his skin might be when he’s born.” Harry said it was not a conversation he ever wanted to discuss.
Meghan said she had a “clear and real and frightening thought” about suicide while she was a working member of the royal family. Harry said she did not receive any support from the royal family over her mental health, saying, “it was not a conversation to be had.”
The pair focused heavily on the royal family’s refusal to provide security for them, an especially grave concern for Harry given his mother’s death. He said that his experience with Meghan showed him how hard it must have been for his mother.
Here are the Oprah interview bombshells we’re set to watch on DStv tonight, according to The Daily Mail.
- Meghan is pregnant with a baby girl
- The Duchess says a member of the royal family told Harry they were concerned about how “dark” Archie would be
- Harry denies “blindsiding” the Queen with the announcement they were quitting royal life, says Charles stopped returning calls
- The Prince also says he and his brother are on “different paths” and says that their mother would be “angry and sad”
- Meghan said she was initially welcomed by everyone in the royal family, describing meeting Queen for the first time
- But later she said she was “silenced” and felt trapped in the palace – comparing it to being in lockdown for Covid
- Meghan said she felt suicidal and told Harry she didn’t want to be alive anymore when they were in the UK
- She described being cradled by Harry after feeling that she no longer wanted to live; Meghan claimed she begged for help from Palace but denied it because she wasn’t a “paid employee”
- Harry says his family failed to “support” and ‘understand’ them and reveals Charles stopped speaking to him
- The couple show of the hens they rescued from a factory farm for Archie’s “Chick Inn” as Meghan says they want to “live authentically” in their LA mansion
- Harry says he is “hurt” but ‘completely respects’ the Queen’s decision to strip the couple of all their patronages, but says he has “no regrets” about their decision saying: “I’m really proud of us”But Meghan said: “My regret is believing them when they said I’d be protected.”